On this episode of Following Jesus with Christ Church Andrew & Addison talk with Kevin Martin about how to be thoughtful with our technology during COVID. Kevin works for a technology company where the vast majority of his communication has been online for the past few years. While Kevin may be engaged with digital trends, the way technology is taking us and how it is created to sometimes use us as its product, his family has drawn some lines at home. Listen in on this interesting and fun conversation.
- Netflix: the last 4-quarters averaged 60.4 million streaming subscribers, Q120 69.9 million, a 15% increase.
- Zoom: December 2019 ended with roughly 10 million daily meeting participants. March 2020 - 200 million, and April 2020 - 300 million+.
- Wearable Technology: from 2018 to 2019 unit shipments of wearable technology (think Fitbit, Applewatch) nearly double to 62.9 million...it’s only accelerated since the beginning of 2020.
Quotes from the show:
"networks are no substitute for the neighborhoods in which we live. It’s not just the power of proximity that binds us together, it’s the sense of responsibility for each other. Put simply: who can you count on to cut your lawn, shovel your sidewalk or bring you chicken soup when you are sick? More often than not, it’s a neighbor from your community, not a connection on from your social accounts" - Dave McCay
- Want to read a book on technology and our use of it? Try Cal Newports Digital Minimalism.
- Another great resource for stewarding our technology is Andy Crouch's The Tech-Wise Family.
- More resources from Christ Church COVID-19 Response page.
Consider rating and reviewing us, that's the best way for people to find this podcast. Also share this show with a friend or family member.
Grace & Peace